Friday, January 20, 2006

breakin out the box

I was looking at this book yesterday and it got me thinking. To what extent are African-Americans real? Obviously the descendants of the Africans brought to the U.S. to work for free are physical, corporal beings living physical, corporal lives.
But is how we live as African-Americans real? In what way?
I don't mean this in the Buddhist it's all an illusion sense. I also don't mean this in the Baudrillardian sense, though Slaves in the Box makes a pretty good argument for Aunt Jemima as the original simulacrum and charts the effect of this simulacrum in operation in a way that was quite educational to me.
I guess for me this is a part of thinking through the concept of Law and what it means for Rootwork. Law itself is a thought, an agreement. Yet these thoughts cause people to live a certain way, to fight and to die. Segregation and Jim Crow had real effects on real people.
But what held them up was the law, a something that now seems totally ephemeral yet held and still holds a weight that creates real effects that impact on millions of people on the physical plane. To what extent is the Force behind Law real? To what extent is Law a construction?
What Force allows Law to have physical effects? What Force manipulates and changes those effects? What is the connecting process between Law and the "real" world?
Another question: African-American men have the highest rate of prostate cancer in the world. Why isn't the rate as high in Africa, where we came from?
What is this unknown force that's literally effecting Black manhood? I've been told by Papa CE that the cure is simple. But my question is why do we need a cure at all?
What sort of energy modulation created this dysfunction?
This line of questioning is not some abstract exercise. It deals with how I need to live day-to-day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home